Critical Reflection

These 13 weeks had been very meaningful to me, this learning journey with Professor Brad in the effective communication module had given me a very wonderful experience. I have learnt and picked up skills such as writing, formal writing, paraphrasing, crafting a letter for an email, presentation and oral skills, researching, report writing, identifying a problem with the ideal, gap and goal and, most importantly working as a team. This module does not only allow me to work as a team with the same group members, but it has also allowed me to work with different kinds of people in the class, understanding their strengths and weaknesses, making friends and learning about them. This was one of the most unique experience for me when it comes to team working as it gets us to come out of our comfort zone to further communicate, understanding their personality and most importantly talk to everyone in class.

My two goals for this module was to be confident when speaking to a bigger group of people and to be able to craft emails and write letters correctly. I feel like I have accomplished my goals. At first, I was afraid that I might do poorly for my oral presentation as I was not prepared for, at the same time worried to speak in front of people that I do not really know well. My team and I did a research for our topic (HVAC enhancement system) and there were some parts where I was not sure on how I should explain it to you and my classmates. However, during the research project, I was most proud of my oral presentation as I felt that I had conveyed what I must to the audience which were my classmates and answering questions from them. This is partially because of the multiple project pitches practice that you tasked us to do and not forgetting the mock presentation with peer feedback. During the mock presentation, my mind went blank several times resulting in me stuttering have my words all over the place. With practice is where I gained confidence and, over time understanding and knowing what to present.

Thereafter was the technical report, in this report, I learnt to write a transmittal letter to the respective authorities formally. Next was the executive summary for the report and finally the research itself. Starting off with how I can identify the problem, especially the ideal, gap and goal. Coming out with the problem statement, solution and proposed solution.  With your feedback and guidance for the technical report, we were able to craft the report with the right contents, edit those points where it was incorrect, use figures and tables accurately and, last but not least cite the sources correctly in APA style. Besides all the writing, I also learnt more about our project in technical which were then linked to the measurement and sensor module.

There are many benefits from this module. Here is one, I still remember it like it was still day one of school, where your lesson was the first for us. We were seated randomly as we do not know anyone. It was so awkward, however, after the first activity in pairs where we were supposed to ask other pairs on certain questions, that broke the awkwardness. Getting out of the comfort zone to communicate and make friends. But one of my biggest takeaways was the final presentation and technical report where it requires all the skills you had taught us. We had to combine them together to perfect our final presentation and technical report. With the skills gained, I believe it will be useful for my future use, be it in another module or when it comes to work. Having said that, I would like to thank you, Professor Brad, for all your guidance, advice and this memorable journey.

(644 words)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Self Introduction (edited 300920)

Annotated Summary

Article summary: Porous Asphalt Is King of the Road (Draft 1)